Waste Reduction Initiative
- Launch the Business Co-Op to help local restaurants go compostable.
- Partner with Mission Trail Waste Systems to educate residential, business and community users on waste reduction best practices
- Facilitate the waste contract implementation to meet the 78% landfill diversion target by September 2013
- The City of Los Altos incorporated all of GreenTown’s recommendations into its waste contract RFP to meet community needs for improved service and achieve a 78% landfill diversion by 2013 (a 44% increase over current diversion rates), putting Los Altos in top 1% of all cities nationwide in waste management and diversion
- GreenTown team members researched and provided recommendations on waste diversion strategies, especially the impact of food scrap composting, preventing the City from spending $200,000 on consulting fees
- Diverted 75-80% of waste from the landfill at 3 community events by increased recycling, compost collection, and education
- Provided guidance to many organizations, large and small, to help them
with green events. See our Green Event Guidelines.
Los Altos Selects Mission Trail Waste Systems for new 10-year Contract
Los Altos won an environmental victory over waste and greenhouse gas pollution when Los Altos City Council unanimously voted to award an expanded waste contract to Mission Trail Waste Systems on March 23, 2010. Services include:
- Weekly pick-up of garbage, recycling and organics/compostables for both residential and commercial customers
- Single stream recycling – (all cans, bottles, and paper go into one rolling bin)
- Residential service pricing should remain the same or less than current pricing.
- Side yard pick-up will still be available at an extra charge
- Basic Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) will be collected curbside weekly (water-based paints, cooking oil, compact fluorescent bulbs, dry-cell batteries, small electronics)
- On-call at-residence HHW will be available for a fee (oil-based paints, fluorescent tubes, pesticides)
- Recycling, compostable and garbage collection at all City-sponsored events
- GTLA Green Event Guidelines (DOC)
- Los Altos Selects Mission Trail Waste Services (PDF)
- Mission Trail Waste Systems Los Altos FAQ (PDF)
- Summary of E-WASTE Disposal Options
- Mission Trail Presentation to the Environmental Council, Feb. 2011
Check the Events Calendar for upcoming GreenTown Los Altos events.