Bike/Walk Los Altos/Hills
Building a More Bicycle- and Pedestrian-Friendly Community
GreenTown works to build a more bicycle and pedestrian-friendly community through services, programs and advocacy. Sixty percent of the energy used in Santa Clara County is for transportation – cars and trucks. But 40% of car trips are less than two miles – an easy biking distance! Imagine what we could do collectively, if we shift just one car trip per week to biking or walking.
GreenTown Los Altos’ Bike/Walk program activities include :
- Bike/Walk to School – Walk or Wheel (WoW!) programs at local elementary and junior high schools get kids walking and biking to school.
- Greenest School Challenge – We celebrate new green habits with awards for the Greenest Schools in our community.
- Bike Valets – Leave your car home. Park your bike worry-free. Among our events are the Fine Art in the Park (May), the Los Altos Art & Wine Festival (July) and Fall Festival (October).
- Bike Tours – We have tours twice a year to see the sites around town. April is our Native Garden Tour and September is the Historic Homes Tour.
- ReCycle Bike Drive – We collect used bikes, clean them up, and distribute them back to students who cannot afford to buy one in Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, or Moutain View. The event happens the first Sunday in May and November. Learn more.
The Bike/Walk Committee meets monthly at noon on the 2nd Friday. For more information, email us.
Mike McTighe, Chair Bike/Walk Committee